I finally got a night where I was at home and the laundry pile was small enough to avoid any guilt about using the washer to felt beavers. For the record, I’ve got a front-loading Maytag. I put the beavers each in their own laundry bag (originally bought for keeping Zoé’s little clothes separate in the laundry). Then I put them both in an ancient pillow case with a zipper that I just happened to have in the linen closet. After 2 cycles of hot/cold, they were done enough for me (one cycle was the shortest possible, the other was the next length up).
And here they are now I’ve completely stuffed them and put their little eyes & noses on. I still haven’t figured out what do to with the teeth. The pattern suggests cutting out felt & sticking it on, but since these are going to babies that doesn’t seem quite safe enough.