I’ve done the washing & thwacking of the golden yarn. Here’s what it looks like now:
After the wash, I’ve got two fairly evenly-matched skeins. They’re about 387 yards and 381 yards. They both weigh about 86 grams. I’ve got very little left in the way of singles after plying too, which makes me happy.
I needed a small spinning project for a break, so I spun up the last of the December Phat Fiber samples that I had.
Up first was Snake Charmer from Prancing Pixel. The batt looked very interesting. As I spun I pretty much picked out most of the locks because I was happy with the look I was getting without them. The contents of the batt were listed as follows:
merino, bfl/silk, merino/tussa, alpaca, bamboo rayon, bamboo noils, bfl, cashmere, columbia, corn fiber, firestar, faux cashmere, ftd, milk fiber, mulberry silk, silk cocoons, silk threads, horsehair silk, soy silk, tencel, throwsters waste, tussa silk, yak. Fleece: targhee, cormo, merino, romney. Locks: border leicester, coopworth, corriedale, cotswold, mohair, romey, teeswater, wensleydale
I got about 52 yards of 2 ply yarn from about 9 grams.
The final sample was from Moonlight and Laughter. The sample was Romney, Alpaca, Wensledale, Merino, Tencel, and Angelina in “Song for a Winter’s Night”. I’ve got about 92 yards of shiny skinny singles which I’m going to hold onto to ply with something else.
My next big project is to spin 100g of green silk/merino into some 2 ply laceweight. I have two of these:
I’ve already started and it kind of feels like cheating because I’m working from this skinny even roving. I’m afraid that it’s a little boring, but hopefully the result will be worth it.