It’s almost time! The 100th Tour de France begins on June 29th in Corsica, and so on June 29th my fourth annual Tour de France Knit Along (KAL) begins. It will run until July 21st, 2013.
This year’s pattern is the Père Lachaise Shawl. There are 3 sizes: small, medium, and large. To add to the customization, the pattern has yardage estimates from everything from light lace weight yarn to sport weight yarn. You pick the size, the yarn weight, and you can join in! The goal is to have a finished shawl before the Tour is done on Sunday, July 21st.
The pattern is on sale for $4 during until the end of July, when it goes up to the regular price of $6.
The KAL will be run in my Ravelry Group. There will be a general thread for chatting and questions and a few prize-related threads. The prize categories are pretty much the same as last year. Winners will pick from the prize pool in the following order:
1) Maillot Jaune – Yellow Jersey: The first prize goes to the person whose post with a picture of their finished object gets the most love in the designated Finished Object thread in my Ravelry group.
2) Maillot Vert – Green Jersey: The sprinting prize will be a draw from among the first 5 finishers of shawls – this only counts for people knitting the medium and large sizes.
3) Maillot à Pois Rouges – Polka Dot Jersey: The mountain prize will go to the person whose tale of tribulations experienced during knitting gets the most love in the designated thread in my Ravelry group.
4) Maillot Blanc – White Jersey: New to lace? New to knitting? This prize for rookies will be drawn from among the list of finishers who tag their project with the “white-jersey”. It’s up to you to decide whether or not you belong in this category.
5) Finishers: A draw will be done among all finishers who haven’t already won a prize.
6) Lanterne Rouge: Started but didn’t finish? You’ll be eligible for a draw for this prize, provided you’ve got a picture of your progress on your project page.
7) Red Devil (Spectators): We don’t all have the time and space to compete in the Tour, but there will be a prize category for those who wish to follow along and cheer on the competitors. The inspiration comes from Didi Senft, a notorious spectator, bike-builder, and cycling fanatic.
1) Any Natalie Servant Designs individual pattern.
2) 2 skeins of bright yellow Filigran Lace (for a total of 200g / 1200m) – enough for a nice large sunny shawl
3) handspun Falkland yarn – goes from green to red, ~690yd/136g, spun from an Into The Whirled batt (Just Figs)
4) handspun Rambouillet yarn – thick & thin 2 ply dyed by CJ Delights, ~257yd /103g
5) Posh Yarn Sadie Lace in Miss Molly (50% merino/50% tencel), 875yd/100g
6) Yvieknits Yarn Angel Lace in Cherry Fizz (70% baby alpaca, 20% silk, 10% cashmere), 1200m/100g
7) Tosh Merino Light in Dusk (100% merino) 440yd/100g
8) handspun Fleece Artist Merino 3 ply (chain plied) ~190yds/71g
9) 2 skeins of black Malabrigo Lace: 940yds/100g total
10) Tosh DK in fathom (100% superwash merino) 225yd/100g
11) Fleece Artist Merino 2/6 sock yarn 355yd/100g
For the yarn prizes I’ve tried to choose a good mix of colours, handspun/commercial, and weights. There should be something here for just about everyone! Here’s the whole gang hanging out together:
See you in my Ravelry group in just over a week for the kick off!