The Tour de France begins this Saturday, July 4th. This year’s Tour de France Knit Along pattern is Labrouste, this semi-circular shawl inspired by the ceiling of a reading room in France’s national library in Paris:
So what’s the deal with my KAL? If you haven’t participated before, you buy the pattern (discounted to $4 automatically for the month of July), sort out your yarn and needles, and on July 4th you start knitting. Knitting continues as long at the Tour de France runs (3 weeks!) and then finishers post pictures on Ravelry.
To participate, just join Ravelry (free & fun), and join my Ravelry group. I’ve got a set of threads open for people to chat as well as ones to post your finished shawls. There are lots of prizes, including a prize for folks who start the KAL but don’t finish (because sometimes life interferes) as well as a prize for spectators (because we don’t all have the time to participate). See the details below.
Here’s the prize pool for 2015:
Prizes will be chosen in the following order and the winner can choose any remaining skein they’d like or any single Natalie Servant pattern of their choice.
Prize Selection Order:
1. Maillot Jaune: Yellow Jersey – Finished object from this thread with the most (love).
2. Maillot Vert: Green Jersey – random draw from first 5 finishers in this thread.
3. Maillot à Pois Rouges – Polka Dot Jersey: The mountain prize will go to the person whose tale of woe in this thread has the most (love).
4. Maillot Blanc – White Jersey: This prize for rookies will be drawn from among the list of finishers who tag their project with the “white-jersey”. It’s up to you to decide whether or not you belong in this category.
5. Finishers: A draw will be done among all finishers who haven’t already won a prize. Just post your FO in this thread.
6. Lanterne Rouge: Started but didn’t finish? You’ll be eligible for a draw for this prize, provided you’ve got a picture of your progress on your project page.
7. Red Devil (Spectators): We don’t all have the time and space to compete in the Tour. Follow along and cheer on the competitors. Random draw from among members of my Ravelry group, my Facebook page, and my mailing list. The inspiration comes from Didi Senft, a notorious spectator, bike-builder, and cycling fanatic. Here’s a great short video of Didi.
Any single Natalie Servant pattern of your choice
Tosh Sock: Dusk
2 skeins Estelle Super Alpaca Lace: 10104
Malabrigo Sock: Arbol
Tosh Lace: Tart
Sundara Silk Lace: French Lessons
Tosh Lace: Citrus
Alchemy Juniper: Barceloneta
Yarn Chef Spun Sugar: Camelot
Indigodragonfly Linen Silk: This Is Your Brain On Cookies
Indigodragonfly Merino Nylon Sock: Bunnies, Bunnies, It Must Be Bunnies (Buffy)
Socks That Rock Superwash Merino Lightweight: Smokey Mountain Man